Most pet owners get organised one way or another when they go away on holiday or on a business trip. You may have pet care conveniently located close to home in the form of a paying kennels, or a friendly neighbour who will feed your cat or walk your dog. Finding pet sitters is also a good way to manage your pet care. Whether you are organised or not it is always advisable with animal care to consider another perspective. Here we have prepared 4 quick tips that may help you get a fresh perspective.
4 Pet care tips while you’re away
Typically, going for a business trip or vacation for a few days should be exciting, but it can be stressful if it means leaving your pet behind. It can be difficult to focus at work and have a good time if you’re worried about your animal’s well-being at home. You might be wondering if they’re missing you, not eating properly, or have run away to find you.
To avoid stress and worry, use these following pet care tips prior to your departure.
Find pet sitters and prepare for your absence
In house pet sitting
Let someone else look after your pet
No matter the type of animal you care for, leaving them behind for a few days can feel terrible. In these situations, it’s best to let someone look after your beloved pet while you’re away from home. Typically, the most common options are:
- Pet sitters: Hiring a pet sitter, someone who can look after your animal to ensure their well-being, is one of the best ways to care for your pet while you’re away. For example, if your pet needs to visit the doctor or groomer while you’re away, your pet sitter can fill in for you if you’re comfortable with the arrangement. With the help of a veterinary scheduling software, your vet can provide quick reminders and appointment confirmations before you take off on your trip! Staying on track of your pet’s regular vet visits ensures that should you not be home; your pet will still make it to their appointment.
- Boarding kennels: If there isn’t a reliable pet sitter in your area, and you can’t find an individual to visit your home and take care of your animal, putting your pet in a boarding kennel is another alternative. Leaving your animal at a boarding kennel can ease your apprehension. You’ll know that your pet’s needs are handled by a staff that cares for your pet. There are many kennels that now have cameras and live-feeds so you can watch your pet no matter how far you are!
Update your pet’s tags
Due to your prolonged absence, your pet might decide to try and make a run for it. If this happens, you might find yourself in a situation where your pet is lost, and you can’t go home to find them. Therefore this is one of the most important pet care tips for before you travel.
Thus, to save yourself from anxiety and burden of how they escaped, be sure to update your pet’s tags before you leave. Make sure the tags your pet is wearing has your current phone number, address, and if the pet suffers from any physical ailments. Another option would be to get your pet chipped; this electronic piece of equipment will keep your personal information safe but still allow people to contact you if they find your pet. These two examples are simple ways you can be reached in an emergency situation.
Prepare the pet minder
Leave detailed care instructions and other important information
Whether you opt for pet sitting or a kennel, it’s crucial to provide detailed care instructions to avoid confusion when your pet is in the care of others. Below are some common care instructions you can leave with a caretaker while you’re away:
- Meal portion sizes and the amount of treats they can get in a day.
- How much, what time, and best way to administer medication if needed.
- Copy of detailed medical records in case there’s an emergency and needs to see a doctor.
- Areas of the home the pet is or isn’t allowed and furniture they may or may not be allowed to sit.
- Daily routine. Does your pet go for a walk? Eat or use the restroom at a certain time? Turn down for the night?
- Your phone number if the sitter has a question or an emergency.
- Contact numbers to who else has keys to your house or ways to get in should they get locked out.
- Favorite toys, leashes, harnesses, and more.
- Your pet’s hiding places in the house. This could be true if your animal is skittish or not people friendly. Ease the sitter’s worry that the pet may have gotten out of the house.
- Any pet quirks, such as if they’re unfriendly with other animals or people, aggressive on the leash, or have problems with big or small animals or kids. With the quirks, list what steps should be taken to quell said behaviors.
Top pet sitting tips
Provide Little treats and comforts
If you want to ease your pet’s loneliness when you’re away offer them small comforts. Such pet care tips need to be managed, however, to ensure you do not exceed recommended consumption of rich edible treats. These treats will distract them and uplift their mood which is a good idea. For example, you can leave an old t-shirt in their crate or pet bed. This way they can smell your scent and will be comforted by it. In case your animal is alone for the duration of your short trip, leave them with a favorite toy. Alternatively a pet-safe bone will keep them occupied and entertained.
Pet minding insider’s top tips
Moreover, you could provide instructions about leaving the radio on to help your pet relax. With a radio on, outdoor sounds and distractions are eliminated. These tiny details could help comfort your pet until you’ve returned from your trip.
A final word on pet care tips
Indeed, taking off for a long time can be an emotional experience. There’s no way to explain to your pet the process of leaving for an extended period of time. While you can’t spend quality time, you can make sure you provide them options while you’re gone to put them at ease. Leaning on others for your pet’s physical and mental health assists you with their care in the long run. No matter the situation, it’s your responsibility to ensure their well-being at all times.
Thus, if you need to leave your pet behind for a lengthy period of time, keep these pet care tips in mind. These tips will ease your pet’s fears and allow you the freedom to enjoy your time away. Putting these pet care tips in action will give peace of mind. You will know that your animal is happy and well even if you’re far away from home. Remember, the sooner you plan your pet’s care, the better you’ll feel about it.
FURTHER READING ON PET CARE AND PET SITTERS