5 Tips for a Restful Night’s Sleep
Whether you are housesitting near home or in a different country you need to rest and sleep. It is essential to ensure you are refreshed for daily duties and to ensure well being. However, it can be a challenge to ensure you have suitable conditions for optimal sleep and a restful night. Here are five top tips to help you manage optimal sleep patterns at home and when you travel as a housesitter.
Sleep is essential to life. Your brain, physical health, and overall wellbeing depend on a good night’s sleep. Poor sleep quality can lead to weight gain and impaired cognition. On the other hand, quality sleep can help you stay focused and improve your immune system. If you are not sleeping well at night, keep reading for five tips to help you get the quality sleep you need.
Why is sleep important?
Sleep keeps you healthy. It is your body’s way of resting and resetting each night. When you have a good night’s sleep, you wake up refreshed and ready to take on the day. If you’re not convinced yet, here are some more important benefits of sleep:
- Better concentration
- Improved productivity
- Lower caloric intake
- Improved athletic ability
- Lower chance of heart disease
- Better regulated blood pressure
- Lower chance of depression
- Improved immune system
Now that you know how important sleep is and you really need sleep to stay healthy, how do you get better sleep each night?
1. Stick to a routine
Setting up a night time routine can help you fall asleep faster. Performing the same set of tasks each night will start to alert your body that it is time to sleep. Before too long, just performing the first few tasks in your routine will have you yawning. Everyone’s bedtime routine will differ, but there are a few tried and true things you can include in your routine.
- Cut out caffeine around 4pm. It can be tempting to drink coffee or grab a soda on your way home from the office, but it will only keep you up longer.
- Caffeine can stay in your system for hours after you drink it. Get a better night sleep by avoiding caffeine in the evening.
- If you happen to drink a cup of coffee late at night, check out these tips on how to fall asleep with caffeine in your system
- Eat a healthy dinner. A large dinner or rich meal can cause a lot of discomfort and keep you up at night. This is especially true for people prone to indigestion or acid reflux. Snacks close to bedtime should be healthy and light, like vegetables or fruit.
- Write out your to do list for tomorrow. Nothing is worse than trying to go to sleep but running through your to do list in your mind all night. Get everything out of your head and onto a piece of paper.
- Wash your face and brush your teeth. Go to bed feeling fresh and clean by finishing up your nightly routine with these simple steps.
2. Keep it cool for optimal sleep
You may be surprised to know that a colder room is better for sleep. The right temperature at night can keep you from tossing and turning. Keep your room between 60 and 67 degrees each night for quality and comfortable sleep.
Insomnia can occur due to poor body temperature regulation. Your body needs to cool down to enjoy deep sleep, and a warm room can block your body’s natural anti-aging hormones. Sleeping in a cool room can even help you lose weight by lowering your level of cortisol to reduce anxiety.
3. Get a new mattress
If poor sleep has been a chronic problem, your mattress may be the cause. The wrong mattress can make you uncomfortable all night long. Waking up with back and neck pain is just one symptom of a bad mattress. You might need a new mattress. Here are a few ways to determine if your mattress is old and needs to be replaced.
- Your mattress is between seven and ten years old.
- You always wake up tired.
- Neck and back pain keep you up at night.
- You’d rather sleep on the couch than in your own bed.
- You have a spring mattress that creaks at night.
- Your mattress is sagging.
- You sink into the middle of the mattress.
- Allergies keep you up at night.
Your mattress can make or break your quality of sleep. If you are in need of a new mattress, a memory foam mattress from inofia is your best bet. The memory foam perfectly cradles your body and provides the right level of firmness to keep your spine in alignment. And, the material allows for better air ventilation to keep you cool throughout the night.
4. Turn off your electronics
Put your phone, tablet, and computer away at a set time every night. Electronics can stimulate you before going to bed and cause you to stay up at night. The artificial blue light will make it difficult for you to fall asleep.
It is also a good idea to put your devices away at night. If your phone goes off in the middle of the night, it could wake you up. You may be tempted to read your messages or emails despite how late the hour. Just having your phone nearby is a surefire way to keep yourself up at night.
Meditation can stop your mind from racing at night. An active mind makes it harder to fall asleep and can lead to restless sleep that is poor quality. This is also why people who struggle to sleep often turn to cannabis products from their chosen supplement brand to help them calm down before they try to sleep.
These products can ease symptoms of anxiety, just like meditation. If you suffer from insomnia or find it difficult to relax at night, mindfulness and meditation can help. You can start with a simple deep breathing exercise or try a popular meditation app for a guided meditation session.
Get a restful night’s sleep!
The right amount of quality rest can make your whole day better. But, sometimes it’s hard to get a good night’s sleep. Whether you need a new mattress or a consistent bedtime routine, it is important to take the necessary steps to improve your quality of sleep. Sleep can help you stay active, manage your weight, focus, and improve your overall wellbeing.
FURTHER READING FOR HOMEOWNERS & PETOWNERS
At Housesitmatch.com we like to offer useful and practical articles on topics for our readers. In this selection we offer you a number of suitable pieces from our own blog on renovating and decorating a home.
A way to relax and sleep – Tips
Seniors often sleep in a recliner – Is that wise?
Managing sleep cycles when housesitting
Housesitters keep pets safe at home and save money
What a housesitter does – Top 10 responsibilities