If you are a first time homeowner it can be a challenge to choose the right garage doors. There are some many issues to consider, the access and frame of the garage, the frequency of use and the purpose of the space. In this article we offer you some top tips on how to make that perfect choice for your garage space.
How to choose the right garage door – Top tips
Although there are many types of garage doors on the market, it can be hard to find the right one. There are some aspects that should be considered first, regardless of the type of garage door you select.
For example, experts who specialize in residential garage door repair services can explain how installation and maintenance play a crucial part. On the other hand, you also need to think about the functionality and security that your garage door will offer.
Choose the right garage door with quality features
To pick a good-quality garage door, you need to take into account the features of the garage. These include the frequency of arrivals and departures and the accessibility of the road. In addition there are the main technical characteristics such as insulation, the level of burglary resistance, and anti-corrosion.
Below you will find out what types of gates are available and which gates to pick for your private garage.
Meanwhile, if you are looking for a garage door because your old one is broken, maybe there is a solution for your situation. By searching in Google, you can find garage door rail maintenance by Fix Garage Doors CA to fix the existing problem and prevent future ones.
Which is the right garage door for you?
If you have decided to choose a new garage door, you can consider several different types. To be precise, let’s have a look at the most popular options:
Types of garage door
1) Swing door – Swing doors have some advantages – they are easy to assemble and their maintenance is not a difficult task. They are also often picked for their low price. In most cases, these gates are made of oak, pine wood or trapezoidal sheet metal. However, unlike sections and roller shutters, they also require a lot of space in the driveway and are therefore not suitable for short gates. Most often they are used in detached garages or private houses.
2) Lifting doors – This type of gate is now one of the most popular solutions for private houses. They consist of panels with a minimum thickness of 40 mm, which are connected with hinges. Also, the standard equipment includes filling the voids with foam, which protects the space from noise and cold, and has an automatic lifting-lowering system. This is the ideal solution if you are looking for a gate to a small or twin garage in a private home
3) Lifting and turning doors – This is another frequently chosen solution – but in this case, the price is higher. Such gates are cheaper than sectional gates, but please note that they are not suitable for short entrances directly from the road. Because when opened, the entire door makes a rather wide semicircle for opening. You can pick this option if you have a lot of space. At the same time, at least 1.5 m should remain free in front of the gate, and the site itself should be flat, without a slope.
4) Roller shutter – The functionality of a roller shutter is similar to the window roller mechanism. The sections are fastened with a cord or chain that is fixed around a drive shaft when moving up. The advantage of this type of door is that it requires little space. So these doors are great for places where the entrance to the garage is directly from the road. In addition, they are absolutely resistant to corrosion. Plus they have additional security features that prevent burglary, and save you a lot of time if opened with remote control.
How to choose a garage door: Basic tips
Choosing the right garage door by materials
Garage gates can be made from different materials. It is essential that these materials provide the necessary strength, stability, and durability:
- Aluminium and plastic are characterized by their relatively low weight, which is why they are the preferred choice for the production of roller shutters and sectional doors.
- Wood is a material that has a special natural charm, and thus it is possible to give the door a very good look. This material is mainly used for swing mechanisms but is also popular for classic swing gates.
- Steel is very durable and resistant to corrosion. But the gates made of steel are much heavier than those made from plastic and aluminium and are fairly expensive
Choosing the right garage doors with anti-corrosion protection
As an anti-corrosion coating, powder spraying of primer with a thickness of 6 microns and paint of at least 20 microns are usually used. When choosing, you should pay attention to its thickness and uniformity. You should also pay attention to how the panels fit each other. And how reliable the lock is and whether a device is installed correctly.
Heat and sound insulation depend on the thickness of the panels, their filling, and the density of the sealant. This last feature should prevent the formation of cold voids.
How to choose the right garage door – Conclusions
Now you know how to choose the right garage door for your needs. As a result, this product must reliably serve for at least 5 years, and therefore it is better to use the most proven technologies and invite a professional team of installers.
FURTHER READING ON GARAGE & HOME MAINTENANCE FOR HOME OWNERS
At Housesitmatch.com we like to offer our readers articles related to the blog they have found online. Please find a selection of blogs on similar topics to the one you have been reading. These articles have been curated for you in our list below: