How to get rid of black mould in your home

2 Feb, 2021

How to get rid of black mould in your home

Spread the love

As any homeowner will tell you there are some signs of wear and tear that are harder to eliminate than others. Black mould in your home is one such hard to eliminate irritant that needs special handling. Here are some suggestions on how to deal with this spot of bother.

Signs of black mould in your home & how to get rid of it

black mould at home
Some surfaces need a special chemical treatment to eliminate the black mould

Dealing with black mould, also known as toxic mould, in your home can be a dangerous and costly affair. Understanding the indicators of black mould is the first step to getting rid of it completely, leaving your home smell beautiful with fresh and clean air.

Read on to discover the tell tale signs of black mould and sure fire techniques for getting rid of it.

Dark spots

The first indicator of the presence of black mould in your home is visible dark rings and spots on the walls and ceiling. Check the corners of your walls including in the basement to see whether there are any signs of mould growth. It is important to note that even when there’s no mildew, such signs could be indicative of excess moisture, which is a recipe for toxic mould.

Odd colours and furry growths

Do not be fooled, not all black mould matches the name. Black mould comes in different colour variations and growths. This means that any odd-coloured growth or spot may be an indicator of its presence. White stains with dark rings, as well as green, grey, orange, and brown specks could also be signs of black mould.

black mould at home
Bathrooms are particularly vulnerable to block mould

Musty smell

Like other types of mildew, black mould emits a foul, earthy, and pungent smell that often engulfs your home. If you detect a weird and musty smell in your home, ensure to inspect all the rooms thoroughly. In the event that you don’t see the mould and the smell persists, proceed to remove the tiles, plastering, and wallpaper, among other things that could be masking the mould.

Respiratory conditions

One of the early signs of toxic mould growth is respiratory irritation and other related issues. Inhaling and touching mould spores could easily cause symptoms such as sneezing, coughing, wheezing, lung irritation, and sore throat. Mould spores can also cause congestion and a runny nose. However, symptoms of mould poisoning are not limited to respiratory issues; eye irritation, allergies, and asthma are also strong indicators of a black mould infestation in your home.

Peeling and surface abnormalities

Surface abnormalities, such as peeling wallpaper, cracking, and bubbling, may reveal that black mould is growing somewhere on your property. Keep an eye on every wall in all the rooms comprising your home, especially on areas that look warped or damp.

Feeling itchy

Most people think that black mould grows in the basement, but the fungus may be present in other rooms as well and can infest your clothes if left untreated. Mould growth on clothes can cause irritation when you wear or touch them. Therefore, abnormal itching can be a sign of black mould in your home.

You need to manage your window sealants carefully

How to get rid of black mould in your home

Now that you know the usual signs of black mould, it is time to kill the toxic menace and prevent it from infesting your home.

Remove the mould manually

Before spending a dime eliminating black mould, you might want to attempt removing the fungus by hand using a brush and a soapy solution. While at it, you’ll want to make sure that you’re well protected from mould spores by wearing a dust mask, goggles, and latex gloves. Also, ensure that your clothing covers your entire body to avoid contact with the toxic fungus.

Once you’ve worn the protective gear, seal off the area infested with black mould by closing doors and windows that lead to other rooms to avoid spreading the mildew spores throughout your entire home. Be sure to also close off the vents and cracks if any using duct tape.

Next, clean the mould-infested area with a scrubber or brush and a soapy solution. Refrain from scrubbing off the mould growth without water as this can transport the spores to other areas of the room, such as the ceiling. Now that you’ve thoroughly cleaned the infested room, dry it up and keep it sufficiently ventilated.

Run a dehumidifier

That moisture in the air might be keeping your skin fresh, but it also feeds mould and sustains its growth. Black mould tends to thrive best in damp and warm areas, which renders moisture extraction from your indoor air paramount. In essence, removing excess moisture from the air makes the environment inhospitable for mould.

Therefore, it could be time to invest in a dehumidifier. It will help you kill the spores and prevent the growth of mould in your space. You can run a dehumidifier in the warmer and damper rooms. With time, the toxic mould will be destroyed, after which you should sweep or brush it off, and spray an antifungal.

Fight black mould in your home with disinfectants

You can also use antifungal disinfectants to kill black mould or even to prevent it from infesting your home in the future. There are two options here: you can buy a disinfectant from your local store or make it at home. A wide array of products in your kitchen can be used as antifungal disinfectants, including solutions of hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar, and tea tree oil among others. Bleach can also work miracles against mould, but the problem is that it can irritate your eyes and mouth, cause respiratory problems, or burn your skin.

Hire a professional mould remover

The above tips for getting rid of mould may not necessarily work to your advantage. In such cases, you can opt for professional treatment. The only disadvantage to hiring a professional is that it is relatively costly. Nonetheless, hiring professional mould removers is highly recommended; they can help you kill mould expediently, especially when it’s spread over a large area. These technicians will use effective equipment to get rid of the mould spores once and for all.

The bottom line

Given that black mould spores are an eyesore, cause an unpleasant smell, and contribute to certain ailments you need to remove them. You are far better off preventing fungus from growing in the first place. Keep your home, including the basement, well ventilated. Run a dehumidifier in different areas, make sure your towels are dry, and fix any water damages or leakages.

Furthermore, mop away any mould growth immediately you spot it. Clean the area with a disinfectant, and dry the previously infested rooms. More importantly, ensure to be on the lookout for the tell tale signs of mould growth. That way you keep yourself and your family safe from the associated dangers of its exposure.


At we like to offer useful and practical articles on topics for our readers. In this selection we offer some references from our own blog on renovating and maintaining a home.

Preventing mould in the home

Top tips: Removing pink mould from the home

Choosing bathroom décor for your home

Renovating a home for the first time – What to remember

Ideas to help you establish a new home quickly

Housesitters keep pets safe at home and save money

Spread the love


Founder and Director of HouseSitMatch - I'm a hands-on Admin on the site. Please ask any questions and as soon as I can I'll happily answer and assist where I can.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.