When a pet owner needs to travel away from home it is always a worry if you need to find new pet care, whether your pet sit is for a paid service or one found on a house and petsitting service like HouseSitMatch. Before you go ahead and choose your pet minder check out our blog on all the things you need to consider before making your choice. Each service and option will suit a different circumstance.
Top tips before you take on a housesitter for a pet sit
Prepare ahead of time and learn about your options.
Everything you need to know before hiring trusted house sitters
Leaving one’s little furry friend and heading for a no-pet business trip or vacation can spark a lot of mixed reaction. It’s never an easy decision as one often gets filled with a myriad of questions. So it is really important to find pet sitters for when you travel.
One gets to worry about the feeding, cleaning, health situation, among other nitty-gritty details. However, take it easy; you can consider hiring a pet minder. Here’s everything you need to know about hiring pet sitting services.
Finding the right sitter
Leaving your pet with a stranger can sound a little bit harsher. However, what would you do in a situation where your close friend or family member is allergic to pets? Or they live in an apartment where your pet doesn’t get allowed? It’s time to seek professional services in pet sitting Australia.
You can start by inquiring from your veterinarian, pet trainer, or a friend who has sort such services before. After that, you can search for them online and see the services that they have to offer. You can also join various pet clubs and get to know if you will find the ideal pet minder.
- Training & qualification – While hiring a pet sitter, you need to double-check their credentials. It’s because you’ll be entrusting them with a pet that’s significant in your life. Be sure to inquire about their previous pet sitting experience. You need to know some of the pets they got to care for and their exposure. During this time, you need to pay close attention to body cues. You also need to inquire if they are comfortable and qualified to handle a pet with special needs as well as behavioural issues.
- Communication – As you head out for your vacation or business trip, you would need to know how is your pet. Thus, you need to ensure that there’s constant communication between you and the pet minder. You can also request the pet minder to have a clear recording of your pet’s activities. Thus, even while you are away, you can be assured that the pet doesn’t veer off its regular activities.
- Pet minding Charges – While seeking house sitting services, you need to know the expenses involved. All these get calculated due to the available services offered. Thus, you need to have a thorough look at what the sitter is offering.
From there, you can inquire about the price of each service. It will enable you to gauge whether they are ideal for you or not. You need to be smart while handling this situation. The best thing is always to have a budget ahead of time. Thus, you can stick to it while searching for the pet minder that you need.
Ask about house sitter’s philosophy on animal handling
Each pet sit is unique in its way, and the utmost care is paramount. You need to know the philosophical stand of the pet minder you are about to hire. When it comes to handling, what equipment do they prefer using? Is it a choke chain, or which do they prefer?
Some sitters are strict and stay away from using a particular collar and leash types. The life of a pet is critical. Thus, its safety, as well as well-being, is of utmost importance.
- Insurance – Accidents are inevitable in any situation. Thus, you need to know who’ll carry the liability, should anything detrimental manifest in your absence. It would be best to have a sitter who can show proof of any commercial liability insurance. It needs to get bonded, as well. Such a scenario will protect against any theft that might transpire in your absence.
- Work ethics – Another essential detail that you ought to be keen on is the pet minder’s working ethics. You need to hire one who acts professionally at all times. You can get to observe how they perform their work while working with other clients. It would be best if you also were keen to hire one who can strike a secure bond connection with your pet.
Final thoughts on finding housesitters for your pets
Pets need constant adjusting whenever they are in the new environment. Why make your pet through such an ordeal when you can seek services in pet sitting Australia. Thus, your pet can remain around the confines of your home or neighbourhood where it gets accustomed to always. Staying in a familiar surrounding is better for the pet’s wellbeing and less stressful.
Further reading about petsitters and housesitters
At Housesitmatch.com we like to share useful blogs and practical advice about housesitters, housesitting and pet sitting. We hope you find this small selection of our blogs on house sitters useful.